Monday, September 15, 2003

Introducing Polly Merclay



Meet Polly, a life-size doll with realistic head and hands which I sculpted in polymer clay and baked in my home oven - and yes, it was pretty creepy even for me opening the oven and finding a face staring back at me!

Her eyes are blown glass and are so realistic there are thin red blood vessels in the sclera. She even has eyelashes and eyebrows.

Her body is composed of galvanized wire, PVC pipe, aluminum, fiber fill stuffing and fabric.

She is approximately 5' tall and can be dressed in regular clothing size medium. Her head and hands are removable to avoid damage while dressing.
I had no one in particular in mind when I sculpted this piece although I was kind of speculating just a little bit on what I might look like in 20 years.
I believe we earn the face we have in old age and she has a wonderfully peaceful expression that to me says she has lived a joyful life and has maintained a sense of humor.

I'm having a lot of fun with her and have decided not to sell her as she has become part of the family.

No comments:

Post a Comment